Western Algarve Golf Holidays
The quality of golf in the Western Algarve is truly excellent and provides a more laid-back approach to the sport as opposed to the liveliness of the Vilamoura region.
Top Golf Courses in the Western Algarve
Having had the opportunity to sample the golf in both Lagos, Alvor and the surrounding areas, the top 5 golf courses all offered something a little different and are in no particular order:
- Palmares – an excellent 27 holes with each 9 requiring a different style of golf
- Boavista – a great challenge with some of the most picturesque par 3’s in Portugal
- Penina – a Sir Henry Cotton design that comes with an abundance of history and quality golfing holes
- Espiche – a fun and quirky course that requires some strategic thinking and offers phenomenal views from everywhere on the course.
- OConnor and Faldo – couldn’t decide between the two so we’ve put both in – an integral part of the Portuguese experience and both are based at the Amendoiera Resort.
The Faldo Course at Amendoiera Resort
Top Hotels and Resorts in the Western Algarve
The Western Algarve plays host to an abundance of excellent hotels and resort for both groups and couples alike.
Our top 3 resorts for groups would be:
- Tivoli Lagos – offering great packages with Palmares
- Amendoeira - OConnor and Faldo onsite – unlimited golf
- Pestana Dom Joao II - a 4-star beach hotel in Alvor, close to excellent courses
Our top 3 resorts for couples would be:
- Palmares Beach House Hotel – a modern hotel situated right on Palmares golf course offering stunning coastal views.
- Penina Golf Resort – an excellent getaway offering tranquil surroundings
- Cascade Resort – a stunning 5 star property which offers luxury for their residents
Penina Hotel and Golf Resort
Our favourite town was Lagos which offered an authentic Portuguese experience along with numerous great bars and restaurants.
Lagos Highlights and Top Tips
- 3 top-quality golf courses in close proximity – Boavista, Espiche and Palmares
- Home to an amazing marina with the opportunity to explore the deep blue waters and amazing coastline.
- Visit the many great seafood restaurants and try the local cuisine – Dom Sebastiao is a person recommendation in the heart of Lagos town.
- A selection of great hotels such as the Tivoli Lagos and a 5 minute drive from Pamares Beach House Hotel
The Western Algarve doesn’t stop in Lagos
- Visit the fantastic town of Alvor with a lovely beach and a nice selection of bars and restaurants.
- Stay in the smaller towns of Carvoiero, Portimao or Armação de Pêra
- A multitude of golf courses throughout.
Why visit the Algarve?
- Enjoy more of an authentic Portuguese experience
- Relax in the tranquil surrounding and fantastic sunny climate
- Play some amazing golf and enjoy the stunning scenery.
- Golf courses are suitable for all quality of players to enjoy.
Boavista Golf Course from the air
One of the major benefits of visiting the Algarve is the daily flights from most airports in the UK. Arriving into Faro, the Western Algarve is around a 40 minute transfer from the airport, we offer private transfers meaning that you can relax on the journey with your party.
When is the best time to visit the Algarve?
The Western Algarve is an all year round destination and for golfers, the main seasons are March – May and September-October. It offers great value all year round and we can always find something to suit your requirements perfectly.
The Western Algarve is the perfect destination for all lengths of breaks. The GolfKings team are on hand for all enquires so don’t hesitate to contact us!
Our team of experts are on hand to help tailor-make your golf trip
Call us on 0800 756 7715